The Section of Respiratory Services (SRS) was established in 1999 after Lung Center Philippines was gutted by fire last May 1998. The Section was created by merging the two (2) units rendering respiratory procedures/services, namely, Respiratory Therapy Section (for critical care) and the Respiratory Care Laboratory (for non-critical care).
Vision: To be the prime Pulmonary Laboratory in terms of diagnostic and therapeutic services, training and research.
Mission: To provide the Filipino people a quality service through state-of-the-art facilities with competent and reliable staff.
SRS offers diagnostic and therapeutic procedures/services used in the evaluation and management of the different pulmonary diseases.
Diagnostic procedures include:
- Arterial Blood Gas determination (ABG)
- Adult and Pediatric Pulmonary Function Testing (PFT)/Impulse Oscillometry
- Hypoxemia Challenge
- Sputum Induction
- Pulse Oximetry Monitoring
- Nitric Oxide determination
Therapeutic procedures include:
- Inhalation Therapy
- High Flow Humidification / Oxygen Therapy
- Non-Invasive Ventilation (CPAP and Bi-PAP)
- Mechanical Ventilation
For inpatients, SRS operates 24/7 with shifting hours as follows: 7-3pm, 8-5pm, 3-11pm, 3-7am (16hrs), 7am-7pm, 7pm-7am, 11pm-7am and 7am-11pm (16hrs).
For outpatients, SRS operates Monday to Saturday 8:00 AM to 5:00 PM.
The Respiratory Care Institute (RCI) of the Lung Center of the Philippines was established primarily to upgrade the Respiratory Care skills in the areas of Critical Care, Pulmonary Function Testing and Ward Therapy. Qualified enrollees are graduates of Bachelor of Science in Respiratory Therapy and any allied medical workers who are performing respiratory care duties.
Vision: Establish the Respiratory Care Institute to be the premier center for respiratory care training throughout the archipelago.
Mission: Enhance the health care workers in their respiratory care skills.
Program Objective: To provide opportunities to develop necessary knowledge, skills and attitude in respiratory care practice.
Learning Objective: To demonstrate the basic knowledge, skills and attitude in the practice of respiratory care duties.
- Mechanical Ventilator Management (3 weeks)
- Basic Spirometry (2 weeks)
- Arterial Blood Gas (2 weeks)
- Bronchial Hygiene Therapy (2 weeks)
- Basic Electrocardiography (2 weeks)
The Pre-Employment and BSRT Internship Training program has the following General Objectives:
To develop academic and professional knowledge and skills required for job acquisition, retention and advancement.
To become competent in the use of advanced diagnostic equipment to enable an accurate diagnosis of the severity of respiratory dysfunction inpatients.
To integrate teaching and research for continuous learning in the health care profession.
- To enhance their knowledge in both theoretical and practical skills in the areas of Arterial Blood Gas Analysis, Electrocardiography, Spirometry, Aerosol and Oxygen Therapy, Mechanical Ventilation, Airway Management, High Flow Oxygen
Those who are qualified for the Pre-Employment Training Program must be graduates of a Bachelor of Science in Respiratory Therapy. They will be rotated in the Diagnostic procedures (Spirometry, ABG, ECG) and Therapeutic procedures (Aerosol Therapy, Mechanical Ventilation, High Flow Oxygen Therapy) and the training program will last for one month.
Bachelor of Science in Respiratory Therapy Internship program is conducted every three (3) months with 2-3 interns per batch.
- Orientation and Pre-Test
- Theoretical Aspects
- Clinical Aspects
- Written and Practical examinations
- Post -Test
SUB-UNIT AREA: The Section of Respiratory Services' Cardiovascular Unit (CVU) was established on October 2015 as a sub-unit of SRS to provide diagnostic services relevant to cardiovascular diseases. These include 2-Dimensional (2D) Echocardiography, Electrocardiography (EKG), 24-hour Holter Monitoring, Stress Echocardiography, Cardio Pulmonary Exercise Test (CPET) and Cardiac Stress Testing, both in and out-patients.
The unit operates 8:00 AM to 5:00 PM from Monday to Saturday (in and out-patient) and during holidays and on demand basis for in-patients.
New Services of the Cardiovascular Unit
- 24-hr Holter Monitoring
- Stress Echocardiography
- Stress Echocardiography with Doppler
- Dobutamine Stress Echocardiogram (DSE)
- Echocardiographic Global Longitudinal Strain (GLS)
Diagnostic Procedures for Cardiovascular Unit
- Electrocardiography- (ECG or EKG)
- 2-Dimensional Echocardiography (2-D echo)
- 2-D Doppler Echocardiogram with Color Flow
- Treadmill Exercise Testing (StressTest)
- Cardiopulmonary ExerciseTest (CPET)
- 24-hour Ambulatory Blood Pressure Monitoring - is a method to measure blood pressure on a continuous basis. It is measured for up to 24 hours. Your BP is measured even as you sleep.
Section of Respiratory Services, Lung Center of the Philippines
Quezon Avenue, Quezon City 1100
Telephone Number: 89246101 local 1304/1305/1307/1320